Are you experiencing feelings of sadness, hopelessness and helplessness? At Northwest Psychiatry in Austin, TX, Dr. Arvinder Walia and Wendy Lowry, a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, sees many patients who suffer these symptoms. They have been diagnosed with depression and experience real help from treatment plans this compassionate psychiatry team provides. Learn more about seeking help for depression.
Just what is depression?
Depression is a mental health disorder stemming from a combination of brain chemical deficits, personality, heredity and events and conditions in the personal environment. The American Psychiatric Association (APA) states that depressed people feel persistently sad and hopeless. Also, they may feel anxious and have thoughts of self-harm and suicide. These feelings impact not only emotional health, but also:
- Interpersonal relationships
- Job performance
- Sexual health
- Sleep patterns
- Speech cadence and hand gestures (slower or faster)
- Body weight (up or down) and eating habits
While symptoms of depression vary in severity, Dr. Walla and other experts in Austin and across the country agree comprehensive and continuing treatment is key to:
- Symptom management
- Improved quality of life and systemic health
- Personal safety
Can this common mental health disorder be treated successfully? The APA responds with a definitive yes. Typically, care plans at Northwest Psychiatry combine three treatment modalities:
- Medication Prescribed for at least six months, antidepressant medications improve the brain's use of mood-elevating chemicals (seritonin, for example). Effectiveness gradually takes hold after about two weeks of use, and continued compliance and dosage adjustments help to control depressive symptoms.
- Medical examination A routine exam with the primary care provide can rule out physical reasons for depression (hypothyroidism as an example).
- Talk therapy The goal of these in-office sessions is goal-setting and change of distorted thinking and behaviors.
There is hope
In Austin, TX, the team at Northwest Psychiatry offers patients of all ages hope in dealing with depression. If you are struggling with depressive symptoms, rest assured that treatment works. Contact Dr. Arvinder Walia for a confidential consultation: (512) 342-7979. We are open Monday through Friday.