Everyone experiences anxiety at some point during their life. It could be brought on because of a presentation or a date, but usually, it's temporary and doesn’t affect a person’s life. Anxiety disorder, though, is always feeling worried or fearful. These feelings don't just go away and affects a person’s professional or personal life unless they receive professional help. Dr. Arvinder Walia and Wendy Lowry, a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Austin, TX, do just that at the practice: Northwest Psychiatry
Types of Anxiety Disorders
There are different kinds of anxiety disorders and to be properly diagnosed, you need to visit a licensed mental health professional, like a psychiatrist because there are several types of disorders:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD): this is chronic anxiety and worry despite no presence of threat or stress.
- Panic disorder: this is anxiety that comes on suddenly and with intensity. People experience physical symptoms like dizziness, heart palpitations, chest pain and difficulty breathing.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): this is a result of a traumatic event, like when soldiers go to war or if people suffer a natural disaster. People who suffer from this condition feel anxiety, stress and may self-harm.
- Social anxiety disorder (also referred to as social phobia): people with this disorder feel intense feelings of panic, worry, stress, and self-consciousness in social situations, like parties.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD): this anxiety disorder causes a person to feel the need to perform certain actions repeatedly.
Dealing with Anxiety?
Your Austin psychiatrist provides outpatient psychiatry services to help people suffering from depression and anxiety to help you get your anxiety symptoms under control.
Do you need to speak to Dr. Walia?
Want to learn more about what a psychiatrist can do to help and treat anxiety disorders? At Northwest Psychiatry, Dr. Arvinder Walia in Austin, TX, can help. Just give him a call at (512) 342-7979.