Many people experience anxiety in some form, whether it’s fear before giving a presentation or being worried about going on a first date. However, this type of anxiety isn’t permanent and doesn’t affect your day-to-day life. True anxiety disorders affect people in a way that makes them feel constantly worried or fearful, usually without a rational reason. For individuals with an anxiety disorder, this fear never goes away and can be so severe that it affects their daily life. Dr. Arvinder Walia, your psychiatrist at Northwest Psychiatry in Austin, TX, is here to help diagnose your anxiety disorder and help you learn to deal with anxiety in a healthy way.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
Anxiety comes in many forms, such as:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)- GAD is normally characterized by chronic anxiety and worry without any threats or causes.
- Panic Disorder- Symptoms of Panic Disorder are normally dizziness, heart palpitations, chest pain, and difficulty breathing.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)- This condition normally occurs after traumatic events that trigger feelings of anxiety, self-harm, and stress.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)- OCD causes unwanted and usually persistent thoughts and repetitive behaviors. Some common compulsions include cleaning, counting, or handwashing.
There are many types of anxiety disorders, like the ones listed above and each is different than the last. Anxiety can also manifest differently in people, so it’s important to note that one anxiety disorder will not present the same in different people.
Symptoms of Anxiety
As we’ve seen above, anxiety can present in different ways, but there are many symptoms to look out for. If you’re experiencing any symptoms of anxiety, you may want to reach out to Dr. Walia in Austin, TX.
Some symptoms include:
- Feelings of nervousness, restlessness, or tension.
- Constant feeling of impending doom, danger, or panic.
- Having an increased heart rate.
- The urge to avoid things that may trigger panic.
- Having trouble sleeping.
- Experiencing gastrointestinal problems.
Contact Your Austin, TX, Psychiatrist Today
If you’re experiencing any symptoms of anxiety disorder, reach out to Dr. Walia at Northwest Psychiatry in Austin, TX, today to set up an appointment. Call (512) 342-7979 today!