Your psychiatrist in Austin, TX, can help you with PTSD.
If you or someone you know has experienced a traumatic or terrifying event, the effects can be long-lasting. You may go back to the event over and over in your mind, making you anxious. You may experience signs and symptoms of a condition known as post-traumatic stress disorder, commonly known as PTSD.
Dr. Arvinder Walia at Northwest Psychiatry in Austin, TX, offers a wide range of psychiatric and mental health services, including treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder.
Post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD is a type of anxiety disorder that is acquired after a traumatic event. The event can either be witnessed or experienced. Its effects may be felt within a month or even years after the event occurs.
Signs and symptoms of PTSD may include:
- Severe anxiety
In addition to these general symptoms, PTSD-specific symptoms can be grouped into 4 types including:
- Intrusive memories, which are frequent, recurring memories of what happened
- Avoidance, which is trying to not think or talk about what happened
- Negative changes in thinking and mood, which can center around yourself or others
- Changes in physical and emotional reactions, which can sometimes be self-destructive
If you think you might be suffering from PTSD, early treatment is important to reduce your symptoms. Untreated PTSD can cause difficulty with relationships both at work and at home.
Your mental health professional or psychiatrist can help you deal with the signs and symptoms of PTSD. Professional treatments may include:
- Medication therapy to help reduce anxiety
- Counseling to help you deal with the thoughts and feelings of PTSD
- Lifestyle and behavior modification to help you enjoy a full, happy life
You deserve to live a great life, free of troubling thoughts and feelings. To learn more about the evaluation and treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Walia of Northwest Psychiatry in Austin, TX, at (512) 342-7979 now!