Are you struggling with anxiety, depression, stress, grief, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder or another mental health issue? Your Austin, TX, psychiatrist, Dr. Arvinder Walia of Northwest Psychiatry can recommend therapies and treatments that will help you manage your condition.
What will happen during your first meeting with the psychiatrist
During your first appointment, your psychiatrist will take the time to get to know you and understand your problems. Just like any medical visit, some paperwork will be involved during your appointment. After you complete a few forms, the staff will check you in and let the doctor know you are ready.
Your doctor may also ask you to take a few tests or assessments that will help him diagnose your condition. He'll also ask you questions about your issues, such as:
- What symptoms are you experiencing?
- When did the symptoms start?
- What have you tried to do to manage your symptoms?
- What medical conditions do you have?
- What supplements, over-the-counter medications and prescription medications do you take?
- Do you take recreational drugs or drink alcohol?
- How do your symptoms affect your life?
- Does anyone in your family have mental health issues?
Since your psychiatrist needs to have a thorough understanding of your issues, you can expect to spend an hour or two at the Austin, TX, psychiatry office the first time that you visit. (Other visits won't be as long.)
Before your first visit, you may want to:
- Make a List: It's easy to forget a few things when you're discussing your issues. Writing down your questions and concerns will help you ensure that you cover the most important topics during your appointment.
- Invite a Friend or Family Member: If you're feeling a little anxious about your visit, you may want to ask a relative or close friend to go to the appointment with you.
Do you need help with a mental health problem? Call your psychiatrist in Austin, TX, Dr. Walia of Northwest Psychiatry, at (512) 342-7979 to schedule your appointment.