How your psychiatrist in Austin, TX, can help if you have attention deficit disorder.
Do you have difficulty concentrating, staying organized, or completing a task? If so, you could have attention deficit disorder, also known as ADD. It’s more common than most people realize, and fortunately, it’s also highly treatable. Your psychiatrist can help.
Dr. Arvinder Walia at Northwest Psychiatry in Austin, TX, offers a wide variety of psychiatric services, including treatment for attention deficit disorder.
ADD affects people of all ages, from children to teens to adults. If ADD goes undiagnosed and untreated in children, it can continue into adulthood, dramatically affecting your life.
These are just a few of the common signs and symptoms of attention deficit disorder or ADD:
- Problems getting or staying organized
- Frequently forgetting or losing things
- Difficulty paying attention to small details
- Problems staying focused or completing a task
Attention deficit disorder can cause additional problems if you are an adult, including:
- Difficulty in social situations
- Problems forming relationships
- Poor performance at work or school
- Mood swings and depression
- Insomnia and other sleep disorders
Your psychiatrist can determine whether you have ADD, by using a series of simple tests. If your psychiatrist determines that you have ADD, he may recommend:
Medication therapy, which is often the first line of treatment; medications used to treat ADD are designed to:
- Increase brain function
- Sharpen your ability to focus
- Enhance your ability to concentrate
- Improve your ability to complete tasks
Lifestyle modification is another important way to manage ADD. Your psychiatrist may recommend:
- Changes in diet to improve nutrient intake
- Focusing techniques including meditation and breathing
- Techniques to improve performance at work or school
Attention deficit disorder can be managed successfully so you can live a happy, productive life. It all begins with a visit to your psychiatrist. To learn more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of ADD, call Dr. Arvinder Walia at Northwest Psychiatry in Austin, TX, at (512) 342-7979. Call today.